Basic Four-Year Baccalaureate Degree
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program offers the pre-licensure option for individuals with no previous nursing background. This is a four-year program See Sample Four-Year Plan. The first two years of the program consist of pre-nursing prerequisites and general education requirements.
Pre-licensure BSN Program Curriculum - two years of nursing courses
Upon completion of the pre-nursing prerequisites and general education, the student may apply for admission to the nursing major.
The nursing curriculum provides the student with classroom and clinical instruction in basic nursing skills, medical-surgical, home health, critical care, mental health, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, community health, research, and leadership and management, culminating with a senior clinical study in an area of the student's interest. Upon completion of the program, the student is eligible to sit for the NCLEX (RN licensure exam) and will have earned the bachelor's of science in nursing degree. NCLEX-RN pass rates for Sonoma State and other schools can be found online.
Pre-Licensure Nursing Program Application Process
There are three parts to the application process. You must complete all parts.
- CSU Undergraduate Application - except SSU students
- Apply online at CalState.edu (fee required) Oct. 1 - Dec. 15
- Send official transcripts to SSU. Must include Fall grades. Due Jan. 31.
- Pre-licensure Supplemental Application - NursingCAS.org (fee required)
- Application period from Dec. 1 - Jan. 31 (9 p.m. PST)
- Send official transcripts to NursingCAS (see academic portion for instructions and address). Must include Fall grades. Send 6 weeks prior to deadline for processing
- Mail $60 non-refundable application fee, made payable to SSU Nursing and sent to address below. Due by application deadline.
Department of Nursing
Sonoma State University
1801 E. Cotati Ave.
Rohnert Park, CA 94928